Sunday, January 10, 2010

Mama Africa

Granted, I don't look like your typical one love Rasta

I'm about as white as they come...
I am of ISH descent
Irish, Danish, Swedish

Nerdy
Not cool
My graying hair pulled back with bobby pins and rubber bands

But when I went to Ghana
For the first time, I felt home
Home, like OM, home

I felt grounds and centered and loved
In the arms of Mama Africa

I was welcomed to the family
To any family
Every family
Like a daughter

People greeted me
Danced with me
Sang with me
Drummed with me
Painted with me
Talked with me

Dancing healed my aching feet
Singing gave me confidence and joy
Drumming connected me to the beat of the people
The heart of the eart
Beating in my chest and in my hands
Painting taught me that I am an artist
taught me to express myself

Now wherever I am
I feel beautiful
I feel loved
I feel creative
Because this whitey fears nothing
forever a daughter in the loving embrace
of
Mama Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment